Fifteen-year old Eric Bear and his sister, 17-year old Christina Bear conducted a mission to spread awareness about Radon since 2010 with the goal of making Colorado Radon safe! Their project is called the Radon Awareness Project (RAP).
Surprisingly, over 21,000 people die of non-smoking lung cancer each year. Radon is a leading cause of lung cancer second only to cigarette smoking. Colorado has a high concentration of uranium in the ground, which is where Radon comes from. Detection is the most important step to protect our lungs. Radon is one form of radioactivity that we can do something about.
Christina and Eric formed the RAP Collaborative with the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, American Lung Association, Environmental Protection Agency and CanSAR (Cancer Survivors Against Radon) with a common mission to educate citizens.
Eric and Christina actively educated homeowners in Colorado about the effects of Radon, how to test for it, and how to protect themselves from exposure via newspapers, television, radio, internet, and policy efforts. They accomplished local and state radon awareness by speaking to local City Councils, local County Health Departments, and through public service announcements for Colorado. In 2012, they were part of a team to initiate policy for changes at the Colorado Legislature.